Saturday, August 28, 2010

stark

it is snowing. 
snowflakes fall--gliding 
down                                                                                                              
falling on grey sludge.             
it is piled up
about sixteen inches. 
eroded in some places, 
speckled with dirt. 
the sky is hazy
and white. It is calm
peaceful and gloomy. 


so gloomy. 
my coat is warm
my hair is short.
my hood is lined with fur 
and pulled up. steps
short steps. deliberate steps
graceful, timid. 
shoes caked with dirt


and snow. soaking through to socks.
the right sock is worse, 
i ignore it.
the buildings behind me are tall, 
not too tall
the windows are foggy, streaked
and cracked. eyes
follow me for a moment
behind a half-open window.
they look down. and disappear.
two trees. bare. twisted
away from each other, 
they guide me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment