Wednesday, November 3, 2010

electric fences

the soles of my shoes 
kiss the rain-soaked
cement and torn leaves
leading up to my 
building

i look up
regarding the roof that 
welcomed your keys
that day when sun 
and anticipation
were abundant 

some parts of me know logic
they studied it extensively
with a focus in authenticity 

but others, little sparks,
break off
with different intentions

they are pulled to
my magnetic heart 
infusing me with 
romantic could-have-beens, 
theatric tragedies
and tortured visions

i imagine
in the distance i see you
running
full speed 
towards me

but wait
this would never happen
you would never run
you would come close 

but ultimately you could not 
pick up your pace
for fear 
of falling

your fist opens and
dried yellow roses 
are furiously 
released behind you

can you see me
from there?
the best parts?
not the mundane 
humdrum puttering
can you see my intent?

but then
the closer i get
the more out of focus 
you seem

and i question
it all
question myself

things are not
black and white
and these shades
keep expanding,
fusing

so perhaps we will glimpse
each other another day
from behind our 
electric fences

No comments:

Post a Comment